List products such as coffee and stationary, or services such as mail handling and rentals in your dashboard; and, conveniently allow your community to purchase these products and services directly from their iOS device (coming soon on Android!) Read this blog post to learn more about the value of products.
In this FAQ you'll learn:
- How to create a product or service
- How to create a collection and display the collection in the app
- Where users purchase the products in the app
- How purchases of products or services are invoiced
- How to create a label
- Where to see the sales of your products or services
How do I sell products or services?
Step 1 - Enable the feature
1. If you don't already have the feature enabled, head to Settings, and click on Products
2. Click the green Enable feature button to enable it. You can also update the title of the feature in the app on this screen from 'Marketplace' to your choosing.
Step 2 - Create products or services
1. Select Products from the left-hand menu.
2. Click Add product to add a new product.
3. Add a product name, description, and image.
4. The 'Hide this product' toggle will hide the product from users in the mobile app.
Note: This would be used if the product isn't ready for sale, or has run out of stock.
Note: Before your products display in the mobile app, you must group them into a collection. If the product is not a part of the collection disabling the 'Hide this product' toggle will not make the product visible in the app. It must be a part of a collection first.
5. For multi-venue businesses only: Choose to display your products at all locations, or a specific location.
6. Select tags that will be used to add the product to a collection. In order to categorize your products into collections, you’ll use tags. Individually tagging your products allows you to group them together so that you can create collections as well as groups within collections.
For example: If your product is a pack of sticky notes, you might tag them as ‘Office supplies’ as well as ‘Meeting add-ons’ in order to sell them in two separate collections in the app. You could even go a step further and tag them as ‘Paper’ to group the ‘Office supplies’ collection even further.
To add a tag, simply type in a new tag or check the box of an existing tag.
7. Set a price for the product and a custom tax (if applicable).
Step 2 - Create a collection
Collections are groups of products that you’d like to make available for purchase in the mobile app.
For example: A collection may be named ‘Office supplies’ with the ability to group products such as: pens, paper, and staples, together using tags. These collections display under the Marketplace section of the mobile app, and are also available to feature on the home screen of the app.
1. Select Products from the left-hand menu, and click Collections.
2. Click Add collection to add a new collection.
3. Add a collection name, description, and image.
4. Make the collection public by enabling the 'Make collection public' toggle.
5. Choose to feature the collection on the mobile app homescreen by enabling the 'Show on mobile app homescreen' toggle. Typically this is used for products you want to feature for a specific reason, ie. the product is new, popular, etc.
5. For multi-venue businesses only: Choose to display your collections at all locations, or a specific location.
6. Include products using tags. In order to categorize your products into collections, you’ll use tags. This defines which products will be included in the collection.
- Select 'Any tag' to include products with at least one of the tags specified.
- Select 'All tags' to include products that match ALL of the specified tags.
7. Group your products within a collection. Tags not only allow you to create collections, but they can also allow you to group items within a collection.
For example: If you have a 'Cafe' collection, you may want to group items by 'Coffee', 'Treats', and 'Other beverages'.
Where do my users purchase products in the app?
Users purchase products under a new section on the homepage labelled ‘Marketplace’.
You can update the title of this section from 'Marketplace' to your choosing by heading to Settings > Products in the left-hand menu of your dashboard.
Note: If you've enabled the toggle 'Show on mobile app homescreen' when creating or editing a collection, your users can also find the products featured on the mobile app's homescreen. Learn about how users can purchase your products by reading this FAQ.
How are purchases of products or services invoiced?
When a user purchases a product, it can either be invoiced the day of purchase, or added to their next month’s invoice. They can also be invoiced onto a team's invoice.
To adjust when the product/service is invoiced:
- Click on Settings in the left-hand menu, then click on Invoicing & payments
- Choose whether additional charges (products/services, one-time payments, etc.) are invoices on a new invoice, due today, or on next month's invoice.
What is the purpose of labels and can I set up custom labels?
Labels are useful if you’re searching for a way to help keep track of certain products. The options are endless for building out custom labels, it all depends on the products and services you’re offering. Read our blog post for some label ideas to get you started.
Note: You can assign multiple labels to a product / service or sale.
To create a label for your sales:
1. Navigate to the Sales page in your web dashboard by clicking on Products > Sales in the left-hand menu
2. Click on the sale you'd like to add a label to, and click + Add a label
3. Here you can choose to add an existing label, or create your own. To create a new label click the pencil icon beside the colour you'd like your label to be.
4. Type in a Label name in the text box (20 characters max). You can change the colour here too.
5. Click Save to save the label.
6. To add the label to the sale, click on the new label you've created (or an existing one) and see the white check mark appear.
7. To remove a label, simply click again and the white check mark on the label will disappear.
To create a label for your product/service:
1. Navigate to the All Products page in your web dashboard by clicking on Products > All products in the left-hand menu
2. Click on the product you'd like to add a label to, and click + Add a label
3. Follow steps 3 - 7 above for a sales label.
Where can I see the sales of my products?
You’re able to see a sales list populate under Products > Sales in the web dashboard.
The sales list contains the following information:
- Sale number
- Users/Team who purchased the product
- Date of purchase
- Total ($ amount)
- Payment/Invoice status (due, paid, pending, etc.)
When clicking on a sale, a side-panel will slide out from the right-hand side of your screen. You can view more details from the sale with a link directly to the invoice as well as the product sold.