On April 10, 2018 we deployed some upgrades to space management. As part of this change, desk groups with an associated number of seats were converted to individual desks within a desk group.
Why did we make this change?
We believe that the way spaces and resources are managed within Optix needs to be more flexible, and as part of that we needed to move away from the concept of desks groups and an associated number of seats. This change is the first step in a broader initiative that will involve:
- The ability for you to create your own resource types
- The ability to assign resources (e.g. a dedicated office or desk) to a user or team
- The ability to book non-space resources (e.g. a projector)
- More flexible billing options
What this means for venue managers:
- Spaces (desks and rooms) are now viewed in list form
- A desk group with 'X' number of seats now shows as 'X' number of desks within a particular desk group
- You can now duplicate spaces to make the set up process (particularly for desks) quick and easy. When setting up a group of desks with common attributes, you should use the duplicate function to create the additional versions. Read the FAQ for duplicating spaces here.
- The ability to manage each desk individually also gives you the flexibility to apply differentiated pricing within a desk group. For example, you may wish to charge a premium for desks located next to a window.
- You can switch a desk or office/meeting room from being a dedicated resource to a bookable resource easily by enabling the 'This resource can be booked by the hour' toggle
- You can make bulk edits to spaces. Read the FAQ here.
- You can search and filter spaces
What this means for users:
- Desk reservations will now be for a particular desk, not just any desk in a given group. With this, users will be able to book their favourite desk.
- Note: Users will need to update their app as part of this update to ensure they are seeing the updated desk groups correctly, otherwise they may see a long list with all the desks listed individualy
- No change to meeting room bookings